The origins of Chepstow Castle date back to 1067 when Earl William fitz Osbern, a close friend of William the Conquerer, started building one of the first Norman strongholds in Wales. The castle is perched on the limestone cliffs along the River Wye and regularly features in television series (such as the BBC’s Doctor Who) and films. Chepstow Castle is cared for by Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service working for an accessible and well-protected historic environment for Wales. Although building started in 1067, the castle evolved through time, adapting to the changing way in which war was fought with the ever-increasing destructive force. After the final garrisons left in 1685, some of the buildings were partially dismantled and the castle was left to decay. Under the care of Cadw, the reconstructed castle is now a favourite for many historical enthusiasts.